Healthy Ethnic Cooking
by S.F. Chou, staff writer. Sept. 18, 1998
Did you know?
- An average adult needs 8 minutes to eat, 20 minutes to digest.
- Frozen fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than your local supermarkets' raw fruits and vege-
tables. However, your farm fresh vege-
tables are still the healthiest.
- Fat helps you gain shiny looking hair and smooth, glowing skin.
- Brown rice is better than white rice. Dark color vegetables are better than light color vegetables. So, what's the deal with brown sugar and white sugar? They are about equal in nutritional value.
- Females who are 5 feet 4 inches, or 162.5 cm in height, have smaller bone mass. Thus, they need to have more calcium intake.
- Eating actual fruit is better than drinking juice. You take in the fiber.
- Olive oil vs. corn oil, which is healthier to fry chicken(trick question)? If you want healthy food, avoid fry chicken all together (sorry, General Tso's chicken lovers)!
A seminar of food and fun! What more can you ask for? In the midst of all the hustle and bustle, don't you just want to sit down and enjoy a fatty, comforting meal? Not so fast, did you know that healthy food can help you satisfy the same craving.
Healthy Ethnic Cooking, a seminar given by Nutritionist, Sue McNulty, R.D. at The Medical Center at Princeton taught me a valuable lesson. Healthy eating is not complicated. The great news is, you can eat whatever your heart desires as long as the meal is balanced in nutrition. It means there is no need to count calories, fat, or cholesterol.
Don't lose out on great taste
If you really want to trade fat for flavor, a good tip from Nutrition fact sheet obtained from the seminar, "...replace fat with flavor by using herbs, spices, and seasoning blends. When you reduce the fat in a savory recipe, increase the seasoning by about one half."
Also see:Healthy weight chart